2 September 2012

Silent Film Inspirations

It has been a while since I've been inspired by the stars of silent films. I am not familiar with many, but for long time I had the feeling that women of the 20's and 30's looked so mysterious and feminine.
I also think that there was a lot of goth to the look, if to take aside the vampire and zombie movies of that time, even the mainstream [heroin chic etc.] fashion and outlook were, in my opinion, morbid, dark and elegant.
Here's the first of my favorite actresses, Theda Bara [Theodosia Burr Goodman]. She was an american silent film actress, was known for her famme fatale roles and was one of the first sex symbols in film! I adore her for her beautiful face and big eyes, her somewhat mystical roles.
The blog's headline picture is of her as well :)

 



Goth? I think very.
I adore the makeup, the clothing, everything... this inspires me so much when searching for new looks.

The second actress that I love is Pola Negri [Barbara Apolonia Chalupiec]. She was a polish actress who later became famous in talking film as well.

 


Do you have any silent film [or talking film] inspirations? Please do share.


8 comments:

  1. Well, I've always been very fond of Sarah Bernhardt, even though she was theatre and not silent films. But very Goth looking, and acting, I think.

    And even though they're not even remotely Goth, I also love Mary Pickford and Lilian Gish - really, really pretty women ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickford and Gish look absolutely stunning!! Kind of resemble each other, I can't tell how, something in their face features.

      Delete
  2. I'm a HUGE Theda Bara fan. I love her lots. Have you read the book about her called Vamp? It's a pretty good book, it explains how she was really popular and it's a shame that most of her films were lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard about the book! Is it available online somewhere?
      I read an article about a half fiction half biographical book written about Negry this year, featuring her romances and the fear of the Nazis as she was a polish actress in Germany, and also about her arrogant personality.

      Delete
  3. Psst~ I never watched any silent films, but I did watch a few films that inspired me.
    For example Sleepy Hollow with it's "fancy-casual" clothing http://hauntedhouses.com/photos-movies/sleepyhollow/sleepy-hollow-5.jpg
    Also Dorian Grey with it's more refined, elegant and classy outfits.
    http://backseatcuddler.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/doriangreyposter.jpg

    There were probably more, but I can't remember them now.
    I know it's far from the traditional goth look, but that's what tickles me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never watched any silent films myself, not including The Artist if you can really call it a true silent film. I just like that era, how people used to look and what beauty standards they had.
    About modern films... there are too many that inspire me. For example Bladerunner!

    Never watched Dorian Grey. I adore the book. Is the movie worth it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read the book, so I can't really say how loyal the film is. Frankly, I didn't really pay very good attention to what's happening in the film. I just remember lots of amazing clothes, orgasmic music, high society parties, orgies, decadence, murder and me drooling all over ^^

      Delete
    2. read the book! It's amazing! I have it you can borrow it.
      Ok I'll check the film out..

      Delete