6 July 2013

The DIY Stripes Shirt

First of all I would like to thank everyone for mentioning me so kindly in the tagged posts thing, I actually felt recognition with my blog which is for me very important. This tagging thing also pimped the number of my subscribers, thank you so much!!! And than you for all the lovely participants for saying such kind words about my blog! I was touched ^.^

So...
I found this picture on Tumblr not long ago:


I was eager to make something like the stripes shirt on my own, because after cutting cotton shirts so many times I had an experience of how different fabrics looks when cut.
Therefore, for such a creation you will need ONLY an elastic long or 3/4 shirt that is small for you.
Why small? Because the fabric obviously stretches when you cut it horizontally, and you want the shirt to be slim fit [of at least I wanted it so]. Surprisingly enough the local second hand stores and loaded with these kind of shirt in many colors.
After research I found out that the fabric is called Lycra. Think about those clothes that professional sportsmen wear, like a rally stretchy fabric that sticks to your body. Though you must find something not of sports wear of course, and something not too thick [although you're gonna cut it anyway all the way on the back].

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of how the shirt looked before, but here is the result:



The front was left untouched, and only the sleeves were cut all the way horizontally progressing until the bottom, and the back was very thinly cut. I think I will make the stripes on the sleeves thinner, because when I was DIY-ing I didn't have a lot of time, but I like how it looks nonetheless.

So again, the shirt was like one size smaller for me, which is great, but if I walk with a straight back then the stripes are stretched and it looks just like n the picture. But as I walk with my back curved almost all the time [a destructive habit since childhood, don't do that] they tend to hang a little bit, which is fine by me because I love how it looks anyway.

This was very fun to make, nothing like using normal scissors to get the job done!
Have an amazing gothy weekend you guys!!! ♥

Feeling nostalgic lately because of a very cute babybat incident. Maybe I'll write about it here.

N. Finsternis

11 comments:

  1. Oooooh now I need to go make one of those shirts! It's perfect for summer ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. one size SMALLER!!! that's what I've been doing wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes one or ever two sizes smaller solves everything! Then the shirt still looks slim fit, I think it can work with cotton tee shirts as well. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. That looks awesome! I really want to try this out! I adore your outfit and hair by the way. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I hope you will and I will be happy to see the result!
      Thank you so much for the compliment, my hair is however far from being fully dyed to blonde ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much! I think if you can watch tutorials on youtube about different DIY projects and practice it can turn out well :)

    Yes something similar happened to me with a young guy, I think I will write about it because it made me really excited and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job with the shirt. I'll have to dig in my closet for those ill fitting shirts I tucked away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I bet there are more variations of this kind of craft out there, good luck! :)

      Delete
  6. awesome!! really!
    x

    veruzkas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete